Skip to main content

2020- Is it over yet?

COVID 19, murder hornets, what's next? Let me start out by saying I'm not a very strong blogger. I find it challenging to remember to do on a regular basis but throw in a pandemic and forget about it. So apologies for not writing this sooner but I've been elbow deep in planning ASET's first ever virtual conference. I think Faye picked the right time to retire! 
Planning has been no easy feat since we've been faced with tough decisions, i.e. choosing a platform, selecting course tracks, establishing costs, etc. I initially thought we could just pick up what we do in-person and recreate it in the virtual environment. I discovered quickly this would not be the best approach. I've tried to bring knowledge of educational best practices and experience with online education to the table throughout this process. Pivoting from the traditional event has required me to attend lots and lots of virtual webinars, tutorials, and meetings. I'll admit I am a little Zoomed out! It's been stressful because I want ASET to be able to exceed our members' expectations. However, I think in the end we will have an offering that focuses on content that is relevant and important to a variety of Neurodiagnostic professionals and that is what we strive to accomplish whether face-to-face or in this new virtual world. 
I speak with members daily and recognize many of you have been impacted by the pandemic in a variety of ways both at work and at home. Some of you have contracted the virus or watched patients or even loved ones suffer. Others were furloughed, took a pay cut, or your institution has reduced reimbursement for education. I know you have many choices on how to invest your time and money in your education and obtaining your CEUs especially now. I hope you'll decide to join us though for ASET's first ever virtual conference. 
Conference details are continuing to develop as we hammer out the specifics. For the most up-to-date information or to register, I encourage you to visit: https://www.aset.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=4340. I hope to "see" you there but if not, I urge you to continue to focus on our patients and your own well-being during these stressful times. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Times They Are A-Changin'

I think this year, more than ever, we have all been faced with the need to change. There are a number of quotes about change but the underlying message is the same- change can be difficult but it's unavoidable so get used to it. For me, I was poised to coordinate my first ASET Annual Conference. I planned for it to be in-person, as is our norm, and even better in sunny San Diego. Not so fast! I mean tell the truth, did anyone actually expect to be living through a pandemic? (Side note- if you answered yes, shoot me an email because I want to take you to Vegas with me!) So my plans for the Annual Conference have changed!  ASET will be hosting our first ever Virtual Conference. I'll admit this has been nerve-wracking. We have been planning and practicing, practicing and planning but I can't predict all the possible things that could go wrong. I'd like to think what else could possibly go wrong, I mean come on, a pandemic, are you kidding me? However, I am a realist (my hu

September Means Back to School

September has become a bittersweet time of year for me. It's back to school, which means my life is total chaos. I fill out the same emergency cards year in and year out and am scrambling for last minute supplies or even worse the dreaded request for a picture! I mean who has physical pictures anymore? Beyond that my calendar is jam-packed with fall sports and school meetings on top of my work schedule. I quickly get a sense of being overwhelmed. I barely have time to enjoy pumpkin spice lattes and other signs of the season. However, the flip side of all this is... it's back to school! This is a time of year that should be met with renewed purpose. As a child I remember being excited for the start of the school year, it was so much fun shopping for new clothes and supplies and seeing my friends who I didn't connect with over the summer. I always viewed the new school year as a great opportunity to get back into the swing of learning. So this year as the new Director of Ed

Putting it all in perspective by special guest blogger Faye McNall, M.Ed, R.EEG T., FASET

To know Faye is to love Faye! When she reached out and asked if she could do a special guest blogger piece, of course, I welcomed it with enthusiasm. So below is what she asked me to share with you and as you can imagine it's pure gold. Thanks, Faye, and to all of you who read this blog- stay healthy! From the desk of Faye McNall: The human experience is such that we all live with stress.   Stress is part of life.   There is stress which we learn to handle all the time, such as dealing with the declining health of elderly parents, fear of a cancer screening or concern for job security.   Rarely, some of us have to cope with individual tragedies that are incredibly stressful: a house fire, a missing child.   The difference is that instead of experiencing personal stress, we are now experiencing stress as a group, a nation, a world.   Every so often, throughout history, major world events occur which trigger this kind of stress. Think of a herd, all panicking simultaneously, a